What US churches do on Good Friday?
Good Friday is a day of mourning for Catholics around the world. The Bible says Jesus Christ was crucified on this day and Catholics are expected to take the day off work and participate in prayers. Churches in the United States lead prayers on Good Friday.
- Churches and clergymen teach Catholics they should refrain from enjoyment and leisure activities on Good Friday. They must not consume meat and alcohol because Jesus Christ died on this day to save humanity. In modern times, the Church expects practicing Catholics to refrain from watching television, playing music, and surfing on the Internet on Good Friday. These activities can distract the faithful from realizing the significance of this day in the Christian calendar.
- Certain church organizations in the United States support processions, re-enactments of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and other religious services. These activities are intended to remind the faithful of the many sacrifices of Jesus Christ. Catholics are expected to spend a sombre day and engage in community worship and community services.
- Some churches organize prayer services specifically during the hours when Jesus Christ suffered on the Cross. Catholics are encouraged to observe silence at home and read devotional books and texts to mark the day. People can attend church services and pray as a community on Good Friday. Certain pastors encourage the faithful to complete pending domestic work such as cleaning a garage or closet or scrubbing the washrooms. This is meant to remind them of the magnitude of the tragedy of Jesus Christ.
- Church organizations across the United States encourage the faithful to pray before the Blessed Sacrament. This action is significant because it encourages the faithful to confess and immerse themselves in deep prayer. Stations of the Cross can attract many members of the faithful; these are organized especially for Good Friday. Other activities include Passion Plays and the consumption of hot cross buns. These activities are heavy in symbolism.
- Christians and Catholics can choose to enforce a total fast on Good Friday. Different Christian denominations encourage separate traditions for Good Friday. Catholics can request the pastor, priest, or church leader to enlighten them on different practices for Good Friday. Some leaders emphasise that members of the faithful should reflect on the death of Jesus Christ to mark Good Friday.
- Silent meditation is one of the main actions endorsed by Catholics on Good Friday. The Catholic Church encourages the faithful to reflect on the events that happened on Good Friday. Processions can include hymns from the faithful and enactments of plays. Some Christians participate in public acts wherein they are whipped to mourn the death of Jesus Christ. These actions are meant to remind people of the various traditions associated with Good Friday.
People do buy cross of various shapes and sizes on this day for themselves or for their known people. Cross in the form of rings or pendants are usually preferred by people and you can find a lot of designs in the online market.